Financial Services Unit - Apply at https://www.commonhelp.virginia.gov
The financial services unit administers many financial assistance programs which are:
- Aid to Families with Dependent Children – Foster Care (AFDC-FC)
- Auxiliary Grants
- Emergency Assistance
- Energy Assistance - Fuel, Crisis, and Cooling
- Family Access to Medical Insurance Security (FAMIS)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) former Food Stamp Program
- Refugee Resettlement Program
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Program (TANF)
The service unit provides support to individuals, families, and children.
Included programs are:
- Adoption Services
- Adult Services
- Adult Protective Services
- Child Protective Services
- Chore Services
- Companion Services
- Day Care Services
- Family Preservation
- Foster Care Services
- Homemaker Services
- Intake Services
- Virginia Initiative for Employment Not Welfare Program (VIEW)
- Special Needs Adoption/Adoption Subsidy after Intake Services.
In addition to the programs and services listed, Giles County Department of Social Services administers the State’s Fraud Free Program and sponsors a Volunteer Program.
Virginia Department of Social Services is an equal opportunity service provider. If you need assistance to access services or material in an alternate format, please call (TTY/TDD) (800) 828-1120.
“In accordance with the Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs, or disability. “To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TTY). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.”